What’s better than a full fall day at the pumpkin patch? A pumpkin-patch-themed treat afterward, that’s what! These Pumpkin Patch Dirt Cups are up to the task.
These adorable pumpkin patch pudding cups are simply Oreo Cookie “dirt” layered with an easy pumpkin spice pudding, then topped with coconut greenery and candied pumpkins.
They come together easily and, aside from the toppings which can be added in seconds, can wait in the fridge until it’s time to partake.
Pumpkin Patch Dirt Cups Ingredients
These Halloween dirt cups have a simple, easy list of ingredients.
- Oreo cookies – crushed to make the “dirt”
- Pumpkin pudding – simply instant vanilla pudding, made with a packet of pudding mix, milk, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin spice
- Coconut – dyed green to make grass/vines/general pumpkin patch greenery
- Candy pumpkins – because what’s a pumpkin patch without pumpkins?!
How to Assemble Them
First, you’ll make the pudding. So perfectly pumpkin-y!
It’ll chill for a bit to thicken. While it’s hanging out in the fridge, crush your Oreos. Get the kids in on the action – crushing Oreos to smithereens is good fun!
Then, it’s time to layer. A little “dirt,” a layer of pudding. Repeat, then end with a good layer of dirt.
Chill one more time.
Once these pumpkin patch dirt cups are set, you can decorate them anytime – though for best results, decorate right before serving.
First, take your coconut and work in a couple of drops of green food coloring. Then sprinkle some on top of the dirt, and add two or three pumpkins.
Voila! An edible pumpkin patch in a cup!
Super cute, and tasty too.
Make these as large or as little as you want. I love to make four or five in mini glass trifle cups. But they’d be super cute to-go in mason jars, too!
Happy Pumpkin patching!
Pumpkin Patch Dirt Pudding Cups
- 2 cups whole milk (can substitute oat milk)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3.4 ounces instant vanilla pudding mix (1 box)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 24 Oreo cookies (crushed)
For the decoration*
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- green food coloring
- candy pumpkins
- 4 clear glass cups or mason jars for serving the pudding cups
Make the pumpkin pudding
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk (or oat milk) and pureed pumpkin until combined. Stir in the pudding mix, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice. Whisk until the pudding thickens, approximately 2 minutes. Transfer to refrigerator for 5 minutes until soft-set.
Crush your Oreos
- Place Oreo cookies into a large Ziploc bag and seal. Using a rolling pin, crush cookies until they become fine crumbs.
Assemble & chill your pudding cups
- Add 2 tablespoons of Oreo crumbs into the bottoms of the serving cup/jar and tilt cup to ensure the bottom is covered evenly. Add a layer (about 1/4 cup, less if you're making more than 4 cups) of pumpkin pudding on top of the crushed Oreos. Add another layer of Oreo crumbs and pudding, ending with a layer of Oreos. Transfer to refrigerator and chill until set, at least 30 minutes.
Decorate your pudding cups
- Add coconut and a dab of green food coloring to a small Ziploc bag. Seal, shake, and massage until the coconut is evenly green. If you don't have Ziploc bags, just stir the coconut and food coloring together in a small bowl.
- Just before serving, sprinkle coconut on the top of pudding cups and plop 2-3 candy pumpkins on the top.
- Leftovers keep for 2-3 days (the cookie layer will lose its crunch the longer they sit).