These Cheese-Stuffed Zucchini Boats first started with a grilled cheese sandwich. The sandwich was one of my very first food blog recipes to go viral, all the way back in 2012. Garlic, herb-y ricotta, melty mozzarella. Inspired by white pizza, but so much more than just white pizza.
Soon, the flavors of white pizza made it to the squash side – namely in this 3-Cheese Stuffed Spaghetti Squash recipe. Okay, we had winter squash covered. But what about poor neglected summer squash? It had to be rectified. So these zucchini boats with mozzarella cheese, garlic, ricotta, and herbs were born.
Table of Contents
- About This Recipe
- How to Make Cheese-Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Ideas for Serving
- Full, Printable Recipe
- Comments & Reviews
About This Recipe
We’re talking zucchini, sliced in half and the definite boat in this zucchini boat equation. Who needs pizza crust? Not us. Because tender zucchini makes the perfect base for a white-pizza-inspired filling. Ricotta, mozzarella, garlic, basil, oregano. A touch of salt and pepper. This recipe is simple. Have I mentioned that? Almost impossibly so.
- Ricotta cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- That’s it!
How to Make Cheese-Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Just make your zucchini into a little canoe (a melon baller works great for this!) …
… then stuff with cheese and bake.
Ideas for Serving
For these photos, I served these bad boys atop a bed of baby greens, which then turned into a lightly dressed side salad. Perfect full-meal deal.
Or perhaps serve a simple kale salad like this Lemon-Garlic Kale Salad alongside?
Cheese Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese ((part-skim or whole milk ricotta works))
- 1 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella (divided; 1 cup will go into the filling and the 1/4 top on top)
- 2 medium cloves garlic (minced; about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (plus a couple extra leaves for garnish)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut ends off of zucchini and slice in half lengthwise. With a spoon or melon baller, gently scoop out seeds and discard. Place cut-side-up on a large baking sheet.
- To a medium bowl, add ricotta, 1 cup mozzarella, garlic, 2 tablespoons basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Mix well. Using a spoon, fill zucchini with ricotta mixture, dividing evenly between halves. Top with remaining mozzarella.
- Bake until zucchini is fork-tender and the cheese is melted and turning golden brown along the top.
- Chiffonade remaining basil leaves and sprinkle over the tops of zucchini. Serve.